Season 8 Episode Discussion [Spoilers, possible leaks, rumours etc.]

DerpyFast
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

So I just got done watching Mean Six, and it was fine.

Back in the day, the word “pandering” got thrown around a lot. Once that thought crossed my mind, I couldn’t get rid of it. The episode itself is a throwback to the various two-parters; exploring The Everfree Forest like in the premier, the discorded Mane Six like in Return of Harmony, Queen Chrysalis is self-explanatory, and The Tree of Harmony from Princess Twilight Sparkle. While the throwbacks are appreciated, it feels like they’re there entirely for their own sake, and like the episode mainly exists as a vehicle for them. Combine that with the way Starlight is treated, and the feeling of pandering won’t go away. I think if you hate Starlight, you’ll probably like this episode on principle, but the writers couldn’t do this to any other character.

I’m glad I went back and rewatched A Canterlot Wedding. I like the consistency of the word choices; “army”, “minions”, “control”, “have it all”. It’s a nice detail that she calls the Elements of Harmony a “weapon”; it reinforces her lust for power and conquest. As I said earlier, Chrysalis has been thoroughly defeated. She’s a tyrannical leader, so even if she gets another hive, they’ll just rebel against her again. The way I see it, this episode cements that she’s in a hole that she dug for herself, but it leaves the door open for her returning by creating better copies. It’s been established that she will make changes to her plans and try again, so I’m curious if they’ll go that route. Since they can’t kill her, the only options are for her to continue her self-defeating cycle, or to eventually seek redemption. I think Chrysalis would be ideal for a story about redemption brought about by self-reflection; now that she’s in this hole, she really thinks about what got her there. Thorax cares for his subjects and has no interest in conquest. I’d love a scene where Chrysalis has a serious moment of introspection, and asks Thorax how he does it.

Other than that, the episode feels less like a story and more like a string of events. The Mean Six were amusing enough, but not amazing. My opinion might change after a second viewing. The scene with the Elements of Harmony was sufficiently messed up. It supports my theory that the Elements will do terrible things to anyone who tries to misuse them. Part of me was hoping Mean Twilight would escape.

Overall, while not a bad episode, I think the actors had more fun recording it than I did watching it.
rdibp
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.

Kerfuffle lover
@Goobington  
Feel sort of the same way. This episode felt like setup in a two parter that doesn’t exist. I understand this episode was setting up Chrysalis still being a threat, but I found it to be more frustrating than entertaining.

The episode’s entire purpose is putting the characters all interacting with the Mean Six, building up towards one big misunderstanding that gets immediately resolved by Twilight and they just forget about it. It’s a very dull episode from the Mane Six perspective.
Hakirayleigh
Wahaha! - Derpi Supporter
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Economist -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
Bronze Bit -
Sapphire -

ℜ𝔞𝔯𝔦𝔱𝔶 𝔟𝔢𝔰𝔱 𝔭𝔬𝔫𝔶
Yeah this episode would have a two-parter…I feel Anti Twilight could bring a lot of evilness.
cheezedoodle
Roll for Initiative - For Patreon supporters
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Thread Starter - OC Tag Description Requests
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Silver Bit -

TagZombie: AC15, Atk +8
I think it’s interesting in this episode that Twilight admitted they were good at getting on each others’ nerves, but they also were quickly able to move on without ever knowing about the doubles.

That’s some real maturity.
DerpyFast
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Some stray thoughts on the season so far:

The School

The school is a weird decision that I find myself hesitantly supporting. I think, paradoxically, the school is kind of necessary. Each of The Mane Six have some kind of excuse to not be available. Rarity has two more boutiques to oversee, Rainbow has her Wonderbolts duties, Fluttershy has her animal sanctuary, Twilight has whatever her princess duties are, Applejack has her farm, and Pinkie has Sugarcube Corner and The Cake Twins. The school raises the question of how they have the time to be teachers, but it also highlights why there needs to be some kind of glue holding the group together.

Like I said, a school is as good a thing as any to keep them together. It affords them new challenges while serving to demonstrate how much the characters have matured. Unfortunately, this is undermined somewhat by Non-Compete Clause, so I can’t really say I blame anyone for not liking the school idea. I think the real strength of the school is it just sort of existing in the background. Twilight’s busy with a new curriculum, Applejack covers Rainbow’s teaching shift in exchange for taking the grannies to Las Pegasus, Twilight goes to Mt. Aris to get a permission slip, The Student Six appear in the play, Spike talks to Smolder about The Molt, etc. I think it lends the story a sense of legitimacy to have this thing that keeps getting referenced, even if it’s not the focus.

The Student Six (and new characters in general)

I’ve been revisiting Season One, and part of the fun is the magic of discovery. The goals of the characters, what great chemistry Pinkie and Rainbow have, Fluttershy’s skill with animals. But there are only so many discoveries that can be made. Every new character is a whole bunch of new opportunities for discovery as new bonds form. You get the chemistry between Starlight and Trixie, what an adorable pair of nerds Twilight and Sunburst make, just what an amazing leader Celestia really is. I’m really excited to see what sorts of bonds form with The Student Six. I also want to see a group where one of the characters isn’t completely overpowered.

Episodes

In order of appearance, the following are highlights for me:

Surf and/or Turf

Terramar isn’t the most complex character. However, even though it’s been nine years since I found out my own parents were splitting up, I still found him relatable, and he took me back. I think kids of parents who are splitting up need a character they can relate to, and Terramar fills that role nicely. Combine that with some nice worldbuilding and scenery, and you have a great episode.

Horse Play

The long-awaited Celestia episode. It’s a great theater episode and a great Celestia episode. All I could think while Celestia was saving the play was “This is where Twilight gets it from”, and I legitimately got chills from the “visualize with me” speech.

The Break-Up Breakdown & Molt Down

I don’t have anything to say that I haven’t already said about these two.

I think it’s been a solid season so far. It doesn’t have the strongest premier or mid-season finale (I’d give both of those honors to Season 5), but it’s good that they’re still able to produce great episodes, even if they’re not all winners.
Magma_ERuptiOn
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

I read this shit?
Here’s my ranking at the halfway point .

1. The Mean 6  
  2. The Break Up Breakdown  
  3. Grannies Gone Wild  
  4. The Maud Couple  
  5. Molt Down  
  6. Surf and/or Turf  
  7. The Parent Map  
  8. Horse Play  
  9. School Daze  
  10. Marks For Effort  
  11. Non-compete Clause  
  12. Fake it ’til you Make It
Sweet Blast
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice

Practice makes perfect
Final ranking 1st half (2nd half I will do along):  
School Daze: 8/10  
Maud Couple: 7/10 (I found his ,,Technically” annyoing a bit)  
Fake it til you make it: 9,5/10  
Grannies gone wild: 10/10  
Surf and/or turf: 9/10  
Horse Play: 10/10  
Parent Map: 9/10  
Non-compete clause: 8,5/10  
Break up breakdown: 9,5/10  
Molt Down: 10/10  
Marks for the effort: 9,5/10  
Mean six: 10/10

Overall. 1st half was:  
9/10
Poison Trail
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Oh, man, this episode was such a trip down memory lane, downright copying the Discorded versions of them from S2. I’m not sure I dig the whole non-confrontation part of seeing your friends do unacceptable crap and just “accept them as they are”, that’s kind of a mixed message to give when you realize that’s how abusive relationships start.

Also Starlight got to know how it feels to have the short end of the stick. A mea culpa from the staff if I ever saw one, here’s hoping this isn’t the first time, she’s got two seasons worth of being on top of the world to catch up on. Yesssssss.

So yeah, S7 solidly settling itself as a second “Fixer” season after S4, toning down the themes that bog down the series and sticking to the basics while also introducing just enough new stuff to keep it going. No stand-out episode, no risky episodes which torpedoes themselves and sinks to the bottom of the ocean, just some sweet mending of the status quo to lead into S9 swimmingly.

1- Horse Play  
2- The Break Up Break Down  
3- Parent Map  
4- The Mean 6  
5- Grannies Gone Wild  
6- Surf and/or Turf  
7- School Daze  
8- Molt Down  
9- Fake it till you Make It  
10- Maud Couple  
11- Marks for Efforts  
12- Non Complete Clause

S2 > S5 > S8 = S4 > S1 > S7 > S6 > > S3
Kanye West
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.

Thicc Thighs Connoisseur
Guess I’ll actually log in. Only Liarjack and Gollum were entertaining, imo.

I still think the make up between the Mane 7 was the stupidest thing. It happened…just like that. No one bothered to question why anyone was suddenly an ass in the first place. No one NOTICED the obvious differences between the clones and their friends. Their cutie marks…or their dull colors. It can’t be like that for the audience’s sake because we would have known anyway. The Mean 6 act nothing like their counterparts.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide