[SFW] Artist's Group Chat

Badumsquish
Generic Messy Hair Anime Anon - Seen and done more than you can imagine
Kalianne - Derpi Supporter
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

ᗡ: 📶 📡
Who here is familiar with my kitties series? It started off as basic pose practice that I at first only intended to make into the Background Six:  
full  
…but I’ve since let it get way out of control.

I won’t sit here and claim that it’s not just me totally slapping a new mane, expression, and color scheme onto the same base (because that’s totally what I’m doing, lol), but what I’ve found is that it’s also an amazing way to practice expressions and details, particularly when I go off the rails a bit:  
full

And of course, for when I draw OCs that don’t have a show-accurate reference, since details and color schemes don’t always translate directly:  
full full full  
full full full

What I’m getting at, is this is something I recommend wholeheartedly for people who want to practice mostly expressions, but also little details and such as well. Make a simple “base” and use it as the framework to practice different characters, because it’s such a quick and effective means of doing it.
Grieffon
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Bronze Bit -
Artist -
Happy Derpy! -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <Grieffon> it does kinda dry out a bit with fast strokes

h
I did it.

I started this thing 9 months ago, but kept procrastinating on it. Doesn’t help that halfway through, I knew more about composition, and realize that its composition is crap, and composition is the hardest thing to fix. The color variation is also lacking, among a bunch of other things. But I finished it despite all that, and it will serve as motivation for better pics.
40kponyguy
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!

AimingToPlease,OftenMiss
First attempt at something more suggestive.

Been up a couple of days now this, but seems to have done okay.

Probably would have gotten a better reaction with a different character, but Aria Blaze is the least represented of the Dazzlings.

It’s about as suggestive as I dare go, because my kids see my doodles.

Not quite sure whether ‘strategically covered’ was the right tag here.
Rayysef
Artist -

@Grieffon

-Good luck with the wireframe! It’s a very useful tool for understanding volumes, especially uneven ones, it seems.

• What you’re saying about the shape being simple resonates- I seem to make the same mistake with pretty much anything I fail to use a ref with- I think of everything in simple, malleable volumes, but have a difficult time making them actually look like anything but that. For example, Scootaloo and the clouds and the backdrop look like they’re made of the same thing in my latest image (following this post).

-And, alright, I think I understand what you mean by lack of transitional information, but how could I provide it?

• Yeah! I tried something unusual that helped me better understand that perspective and placement is relative to everything else- the movement, the POV, everything, in my recent image!

• Ah, see, that gallery actually is really good, I’m not denying that, but it really FEELS like art.

It’s almost cinematic. It’s dramatic, and there’s nothing wrong with that, I actually really do like that sort of stuff, and hope to make something really cool that might incite the same-ish sorta feeling. But my point is that not everything needs to be like that- an image could be a lot more subtle, where it feels like you’re looking in to a scene rather than looking at something that looks really cool design-wise, but while still using compositional techniques like the cactus for framing or value separation as a believable, natural lighting occurence.  

@Grieffon

Awwww shiet! Nice work! Especially on the clouds! They look really fluffy. And props for remembering ambient lighting with the sand bouncing light onto the chairs! Very classy. The best thing I can say about your work is that you were really good about capturing the vastness of the landscape!

However, I feel the pose could have been bettered by emphasizing further how the connection between Twilight’s chest and pelvis is twisting.

Also, considering that those clouds are touching the horizon line, Rainbow Dash might’ve gone quite a long ways.

Though, actually, that’s pretty romantic. It’s like giving her the moon, but instead, touching the horizon for her. Heh. It was more poetic in my head.

Grieffon
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Bronze Bit -
Artist -
Happy Derpy! -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <Grieffon> it does kinda dry out a bit with fast strokes

h
@EddersCPFC, Mrmildock, Exedrus, Deon Miller, Salamenace, Rayysef  
Thank you! I’ll do better next time.

@Rayysef  
– What you’re saying about the shape being simple resonates- I seem to make the same mistake with pretty much anything I fail to use a ref with- I think of everything in simple, malleable volumes, but have a difficult time making them actually look like anything but that. For example, Scootaloo and the clouds and the backdrop look like they’re made of the same thing in my latest image (following this post).

I have a cure for that: stop thinking about them as 3D object for a moment, and look at them as 2D shapes. Not 2D clouds, not 2D trees; consider them as shapes. Then, just focus on making the shape interesting, by adding variation to it.

full

Of course, you have to study the kind of variation allowed in any given object. So for this, I’d suggest just look up pictures of what you want to improve on, and just paint/draw their silhouette. Only after you got the shape right would you apply your knowledge of volume and form to get correct light/shadow.

-And, alright, I think I understand what you mean by lack of transitional information, but how could I provide it?
Just choose a light direction, then use light and shadow to define it. Holding a piece of paper in the light and shape it to roughly match the surface you want helps. Example. I used 2 different transition: abrupt change on top, smooth transition bottom.

However, I feel the pose could have been bettered by emphasizing further how the connection between Twilight’s chest and pelvis is twisting.
I actually wanted to do that, but not sure how in that pose. Do you have an example.  
Also, considering that those clouds are touching the horizon line, Rainbow Dash might’ve gone quite a long ways.
I probably placed it a bit too far. I’d have preferred Dash being more visible. Maybe I’ll revisit the picture somewhere down the line - I like the idea, but I don’t have the skill to make it look good yet.
40kponyguy
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!

AimingToPlease,OftenMiss
@Rayysef  
Found a couple of similar pics, but nothing that’s a match.

There was this one of Derpy  

I find it’s always a good idea to get a reference pic to work from anyway.  
Helps with getting poses looking right.

Also, did find one of Dash, but it’s not the one I was thinking of.  
Rayysef
Artist -

@Grieffon

Like this? (On both counts, regarding the new one) full

Nope, but I gave it a shot. trying my best to keep to show proportions:

full

I think what really sells it is the butt connection I pointed out in red. I imagine a muscle connecting from a little underneath the tailbone (if you were to draw r34, it would be like, in the middle of the genitalia), and then have it wrap around the leg. Here, it looks like it’s not coming from where I said because the “buttcheeks” are kinda blending into it, but I still keep that muscle in mind. Clearer example of this.

Also, simply marking the iliad crest (outer, upper rim of the pelvis, circled in red) gives pretty obvious form, and depending on the severity of the curve, direction.

Other than that, other points that show direction are the shoulder, which was covered in your image, but it does a give a sense of how the spine is moving (Twilight’s tilting a bit to the side, to support her weight on her elbow.)

Another slight hint is how the chest and pelvis are connecting- a large part of it is hidden, but it isn’t flat. It’s hard to explain in words- but basically, I think of it connecting the same way that real horses connect, which you can really see here: (Baron Engel’s work is a really good reference for real-sy anatomy! I’m a big fan of his.)

Hope this helps- It was a bit harder than I thought it would be.
Grieffon
Bronze Bit -
Artist -
Happy Derpy! -

h
Like this? (On both counts, regarding the new one) full

Yeah, that’s the idea. Though it’d be even better if you have the silhouette a controlled kind of variation, instead of random. For example

full

Maintain the variation in the shape (thin - thick, leveled - pointy, etc), but keep it look like something that can exist.

And thanks for the feedback! I’ll keep them in mind in the future.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
The Travelling Pony Museum Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide