Don't blame me, I voted for the other guy. (Politics General)

silbasa
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -

@Ebalosus
Some of them do that and some of them take to the streets. The more accepted it becomes the worse the rot gets. They throw away the greatest thing they have, their democracy.
Background Pony #B5D6
@Ebalosus
The precedent crap is a cope. Those people know that Kyle was not guilty per the law so they come up with some sort of mental gymnastic to justify. “It sets a precedent”, or “the judge was bias”, or “the trial is a case of white privilege”. All of that is BS from people who can’t find a real reason he is guilty but still want him to be punished.
ArmadilloEater

French Taunter
The US constitution created a fairly stable country
Cept for the civil war, yeah… And Jim Crow laws. And the repetitive race riots. And the two party system that guarantees shit stays the same (it’s not normal to only have two parties on elections, just FYI). And the institutional corruption of politicians that gringos call “lobbyism”. And the lack of journalistic integrity. And the absolute destruction of political discourse. Appart from all that stuff and some others, it’s “stable”, sure.
Background Pony #B5D6
@Latecomer
It was a mess because people in this country politicize everything. So many ignorantly think if a politician has an R or D next to their name they are evil and every little thing is a dog whistle.
Add on to that a media which knows it’s base and how to rile them up and you get all these vocal people who are stunned that a justice system can allow this.
The perfect example is the judge not allowing the prosecution to refer to the men shot as “victims”. That was played up everywhere, obvious indication of bias. In reality it is completely normal and when you think about it makes sense.
silbasa
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Violet Rose in The Rain
I was right here condemning it.
@ArmadilloEater
Many of those things they did away with, segregation, Jim Crow laws and so on. From say 2014 onwards their political discourse has been ass and their media have also become ass, that is true. Lobbyism is something we have plenty of over here as well.
ArmadilloEater

French Taunter
@silbasa
I believe that journalist integrity and lobbyism are two of the greatest issues to plague the US, since one serves to sway the population’s opinions, and the other serves to sway the politicians. In most civilized countries lobbyism is strictly regulated, politicians have to disclose any “gifts” and their affiliations are closely scrutinized. In the US they went the other way, and basically legalized corruption (just look at Citizen United).
Basically US politicians now only care about heir own reelections and their next careers, so they make friends with corporations, political parties function for their own benefits and are completely unregulated, government as a whole is a gluttonous self-serving entity that pretends to be by the people (look at how the DNC cheated Bernie out of his nomination, it’s proven, yet no one cares) and for the people (I don’t think I have to expand on that one).
Government should exist only to serve the people, to be a safety net against corporations and other countries, to help those that need it. Otherwise it should just stay out of the way. The US government does the opposite to all of that.
silbasa
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@ArmadilloEater
Yes it is. I see much of the same over here even with laws disclosing party and political donations and such. I do not however know of a better system anywhere else. And most politicians are assholes no matter where one happens to be, at least we here in the west get to change what assholes are in charge every 4 years or so…
Eggonaught
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Hard Work - Merited Perfect Pony Plot Provider badge with only their own art
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Artist -

@silbasa
To be fair, communist revolution would be an excellent solution to the problem of fair trials exonerating their political enemies. They’d never have to worry about a not-guilty verdict again! Just bloodstained scrawled confessions, all day every day.
@Violet Rose in The Rain
To the best of my knowledge, none of us “death worshippers” have called for large scale massacres of our political opponents as you just did. Perhaps it’s time to reconsider some perspectives here.
@Jojodidu
Just checked out the wikipedia page. So they’re burning farmers alive, but the media and the UN are claiming they’re just Peaceful Resistance? That sounds very familiar, and I hope you guys get through it.
Background Pony #C9EE
@ArmadilloEater
Citizen’s United was the correct decision. I agree that their is too much corporate welfare, but at the end of the day Citizen’s United was a logically extension of freedom of speech.
ArmadilloEater

French Taunter
@Dustcan
I mean, he could also mention that military recruiters lie their asses off to get vulnerable teens to enlist, and a fuckton of military vets are left to die in the streets like dogs, promises be damned. “Too good to be true” should be kept in mind.
Though, about the main point he’s making, free healthcare should be a normal thing to except in a first world country, I don’t get why it’s such a partisan issue. Free education, I’d attenuate with “affordable” education, there a fields that do demand a lot of equipment for schooling, the students participating to the funding seems reasonable, as long as the prices are reasonable as well (no need to go into debt for it, but maybe work some part-time job during a summer or something); though that’s only for higher education, basic education should totally be free yes, as well as school meals for those age brackets. Those are fine, and are a reality for a majority of the western world.
Guaranteed housing is a bitch to implement though… How would you implement that? I’m genuenly curious, I’ve wondered about that for a while.
Zincy
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

In Vino Veritas
While increasing the SALT cap would disproportionately benefit the top earners, there are still hundreds of thousands of middle and upper middle earners that would see some relief from it.
And really, the cap of 80,000 is still low. We’re not giving the top earners like 500k or more worth of write offs.
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
For starters, it needs to be stated that there are more empty homes right now than homeless. Far more. A quick googling leads me to this which states that there are (or at least were) about 33 “empty housing units” for every homeless in America.
So right off the bat it needs to be laid bare: homelessness is not a supply problem but a policy decision. Not only that but numerous studies has found that publicly funded housing actually costs the tax payer less than homelessness does now. As in, American would save money if the government handed out “free homes”. Again, homelessness is a policy decision.
That doesn’t mean everyone gets a luxury 2 story 6 bedroom house, mind, but it does mean a guaranteed roof over your head would actually solve many problems both for the homeless and homeowners. Off the top of my head apartment complexes (especially high-rise ones) would allow substantial residences for relatively minimal space.
Background Pony #5A3A
@Violet Rose in The Rain
To the best of my knowledge, none of us “death worshippers” have called for large scale massacres of our political opponents as you just did. Perhaps it’s time to reconsider some perspectives here.
Ok. I’ll reconsider. Let’s see here…
For example, on Friday, Gab–the so-called free speech social network that is popular on the far-right–reportedly sent out an email encouraging followers to “buy firearms and form Christian militias,”
In one Telegram channel for the far-right Proud Boys, some noted they had taken the day off work to await the verdict. “There’s still a chance for this country,” wrote one. In another channel, a member stated that political violence must continue. “The left wont stop until their bodied get stacked up like cord wood,” he wrote.
Huh. You know, reconsidering my perspective has not really improved my opinion.
Zincy
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

In Vino Veritas
The same reason you give tax breaks to anyone in a capitalist society, encouraging spending. Couple it with affordable interest rates and you get a lot of money moving on big ticket purchases.
Big ticket buys stimulate jobs in the building, manufacturing, tech, and service industries.
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
Paywall link.
Tax terminology has always confused me, and looking up what the SALT cap is doing the same. So I stand by my same beliefs: lifting the burden off the middle and especially lower class is good, making the upper and especially the obscenely wealthy start paying their “fair share” (or at least close the loopholes that let’s them evade literal trillions in taxes) is also good.
Background Pony #B5D6
@Dustcan
well, you need to look at the individual housing markets, you can’t look at the country as a whole.
@Zincy
Well tqx breaks typically are used to encourage specific actions. SALT is used to subsidize middle and upper class households for being middle and upper class. Why should I subsidise people richer then me so they can enjoy benefits in their state that I don’t?
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide