Feature suggestions and discussion [READ THE FIRST POST]

Background Pony #F2D5
@byte[]  
Ohhhhh. I wondered about the weird cut-off thing for a while. I just fixed the descriptions when needed. which is almost always, because it doesn’t usually keep the same formatting
Background Pony #738E
I’d like to see an option for gifs and webms similar to what they added to e926, instead of animated thumbnails, there’s a little indicator that tells you the image is animated, full

It could be like the simple “webm” text you put over webm thumbnails” but instead of a slideshow, it just shows the first frame.
Background Pony #2DBF
About notifications auto update.  
  1. Interval is set to 10 minutes. Way too long.  
  2. It’s set to not work if you switch to other tabs.  
    Basically it’s useless. So much that I haven’t seen auto update in 3-4 months. I believe it worked differently back then.
byte[]
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

Philomena Contributor
@Background Pony #BE35  
Correct on both counts.

Back in The Day™, every tab polled the site every ten minutes. Due to the way that users typically browse this site though (opening a few search pages, then opening a ton of tabs with images) this means that one user might be putting out between 1-3 requests/min of just polling the notifications endpoint. Multiply that by the ~500 active users at any given time, and that’s between 500 and 1500 additional requests/min of time better spent serving your actual requests.

Wanting to preserve at least some of the behavior, I allowed the JS to poll the endpoint only if the tab was focused. This is the current behavior, and while turned out to be a reasonable compromise, I realized at the time that I was not happy with the change.

I tried approximately a year ago to fix this by adding a websocket endpoint to push notifications from the server, once our Rails 5 upgrade with ActionCable had gone through and the kinks worked out. This had two problems.

First, the behavior of our users became relevant again. Each user could have 3-20 redundant sockets open at a time, corresponding to 1500-10000 open connections at a time, and this was significantly tying down our app instances. A fix to make all open tabs share one connection was theoretically feasible, but not done due to problems with the implementation.

Second, someone with unknown intent decided to try to flood off our appservers with connections to ActionCable. I tried to put in place mitigations for this, but the server instance I bound it to kept leaking memory, so I decided to revert all the efforts to use push notifications.

Today, we are stuck with what we have because the alternatives have ended up being worse for us than we imagined.
Chaotic Mind
"I solemnly swear I am truly insane." - Derpi Supporter
Daring Do Dakimakura - Attended a Derpibooru panel at a MLP convention
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages (Random Useless Facts Thread)
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Silver Bit -
Ruby -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters

Crazy Pone
I don’t know if this has been suggested already or not. If not, has anyone considered setting a Discord server up? It would be hella better than IRC. I mean come on. IRC is older than even me. Sure many still use it but the capabilities are quite limited to more modern communication systems.

Just a thought as someone who could never get used to how IRC works and went straight to Team Speak the Discord.
Chaotic Mind
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages (Random Useless Facts Thread)
Silver Bit -
Ruby -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

Crazy Pone
@Luna  
I think I know what went wrong with it if the problem is what I think it is. Discord has improved greatly since then. Better management, better bots for control, and all that.
Joey
Dawnsong - Derpi Supporter
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!

PM me your cute OCs
We considered switching to Discord last month for our site related chats, but after some concerns were raised, we decided to shelf that idea for the time being.

Two people left staff around the same time. It wasn’t entirely related to discord though. One wanted to peruse another project, and the other had a lot of stuff going in on their life.
CruFox
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Artist -

Tag? Tag.
When typing in a tag that has been aliased to something else (for example: scissoring is aliased to tribadism) you will get that:  
full  
and then that:  
full

So wouldn’t it be better for the aliased tag to show up in this place as a suggestion? Maybe even it should be there with some indication that it is an alias. An arrow symbol as a prefix or something like this. Tribadism has over 1200 images in it so it would be on the first place.

–––––––  
And by the way:  
@The Smiling Pony  
A fun side effect is that typing in shining armor would probably start suggesting incest, gay, anal, penis, cum, rape, foalcon, mother and son and other fun tags. Which means we’d need a tag rating system, and make it work somehow with user filters.
Fun.

So what? :P From @Ponylooker in the General Tagging Discussion thread:

I mean, we already have this problem where you upload your four year old’s drawing of Rainbow Dash, tag it “safe”, then start typing “pencil drawing” and the first suggestion is “penis”.
It would be great if certain tags had minimum rating level requirements–with rating in a separate field that you have to populate in order to start tagging. Also, I would like some pie, preferably in the sky.
Chaotic Mind
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Silver Bit -
Ruby -

Crazy Pone
@Wonder Sparkle  
I was thinking of that but decided not to suggest it due to what it would take to implement all the features the site uses in a dedicated app on Android/ iOS.

Another issue is on top of the aforementioned the apps would need even more features to make do with less working memory if one were to have several images open in “tabs”.

Basically it will be a bit of an undertaking if this is done.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Pony Arts & Prints!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide