IDW Comics - Meta Discussion

Itsthinking
Princess Ember - Derpi Supporter
Diamond -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
Silver Supporter -
Happy Derpy! -

🅱
“Currently no news on anything else than few covers, Bobby mentioned something about needing a better time to think what story he might have aside for me, apparently he likes to keep the ongoing storylines under their current artists. Who knows how legit a reason it is but that’s all I’ve got until further notice.”- Pencils, today

So basically, they told him that he has no chance unless there’s a new series.
Itsthinking
Diamond -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
Silver Supporter -
Happy Derpy! -

🅱
August comic sales are out.

FiM #58 (Pinkie in Discord’s dimension one-off) sold 10,037 copies.

Movie Prequel #3 (Capper’s origins) sold 6,907 copies.

The Prequel collection sold 1,487 copies.
Itsthinking
Diamond -
Silver Supporter -
Happy Derpy! -

🅱
@The Smiling Pony  
I was reading reviews of the Movie prequel, seems like a few were upset by it. Mostly new people who were confused where the actual ponies were. Also inconsistency with the prequel stuff.

Honestly, the Movie Prequel as a whole didn’t exactly read or look like anyone was giving their 100% effort.
kleptomage
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - 10+ uploads with over 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)

It’s not surprising the prequel comics sold poorly. They relied on the selling power of the My Little Pony brand yet contained few ponies. The point of course was to introduce the new non-pony characters outside Equestria, but it was done in such a cursory and dull manner that there is little to talk about.
Jarkes
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Thread Starter - Transformers Thread

GOKAAAAI... SILVER!
This is why putting important backstory stuff in side materials is a BAD IDEA, because it’s very likely that not many people will have access to these side materials.
Anonycat
Duck - "her mere existence is enough to put me in a quack mood, I might as well return the favor by quacking it around"
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
Artist -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Okay, I guess.
@Itsthinking  
Evidently they want to milk the cashcow for all what it’s worth before it finally runs dry.

It remindes me when The Smurfs comics began to be sold in my country and everyhing went fine until they tried to push “comics” made out of screencaps with added text, and then they replaced the Smurfs with Johan and Peewit stories, but the comic still was sold as a Smurfs one.
Anon-a-Miss
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).

@Jarkes  
I believe the comics are just fleshing out the backstories of the characters. Take the Tempest comic for example: The movie will probably explain to the viwers that she helped him conquer Equestria, so that he would be able to restore her magic. That’s all the info you need. But if you want to see how Tempests and the Storm King meet for the first time you can read the comic. It’s not important to understand the plot, but it adds a few more details.
cheezedoodle
Roll for Initiative - For Patreon supporters
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Thread Starter - OC Tag Description Requests
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Silver Bit -

TagZombie: AC15, Atk +8
This is why putting important backstory stuff in side materials is a BAD IDEA, because it’s very likely that not many people will have access to these side materials.

The thing is it’s not important backstory stuff. It’s unimportant backstory stuff, but it may be interesting to some, like me.

An animated feature or mass-market paperback is a bad place to put it, but if they want the story told, a niche comic that’s available electronically almost worldwide and bypasses most localization markets is a great place to put it.

I have a feeling they will have a not-insignificant number of additional prequel comic sales after the movie’s out already and people go back and look at the supporting materials. There’s still plenty of people avoiding all movie spoilers, I’m sure.

@Anon-a-Miss  
This
Jarkes
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Thread Starter - Transformers Thread

GOKAAAAI... SILVER!
@Anon-a-Miss

@cheezedoodle

Yeah, I guess. It’s not like, say, putting a supporting character’s entire motivation and backstory into 4 short “episodes” that are only available as special features on Blu-ray sets for the series that won’t all be available until the series has been over for 3 months. (glares at Toei and Kamen Rider Ex-Aid)
Itsthinking
Diamond -
Silver Supporter -
Happy Derpy! -

🅱
@Anonycat  
Pony aside, this quote is apt:

“I’m sure it has nothing to do with their publishing of licensed properties that just aren’t selling at all, or the dilution of said properties in creating a continual crossover between the various properties, OR the further dilution of said properties by creating something from them nobody was asking for (i.e. the Funko POP versions – which I didn’t order for my shop and nobody missed), OR the poor quality of the books based on the licensed properties.

But, let’s blame Marvel!”
Wiimeiser
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary

(Foil Hat)
@Anonycat  
@Itsthinking  
Unfortunately, that’s how capitalism works. If you don’t already have the money, you can’t get the money you need to get the money you need to get the money you need to get the money you need to get the money you need to get the money you need to get the money you need to get the money… Barring random market shakeups it’s either a Catch 22 or a foregone victory…
Itsthinking
Diamond -
Silver Supporter -
Happy Derpy! -

🅱
@Wiimeiser  
You could always just make a product that people want. IDW’s problem really does seem to be brand dilution and not actually providing products that people want. I’m not sure how much Hasbro mandates are responsible, though. They are the ones who probably make them make much of the IPs that don’t sell into comics. Still, they have a lot of other stuff they could drop.

@soundtea  
What amuses me in that article is all the random people claiming that it is social justice stuff when in reality again, IDW’s problem is their desire for quantity over quality.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide