IDW Comics - Meta Discussion

Itsthinking
Princess Ember - Derpi Supporter
Diamond -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
Silver Supporter -
Happy Derpy! -

🅱
Honestly it feels like most non-fandom people completely have underestimated IDW’s MLP and aren’t even using it as a measuring rod anymore. GI Joe wasn’t going to be a big selling comic anyway.

The more accurate statement is that IDW doesn’t hire very good writers across the board. But hey, at least Nick Confalone is supposedly writing some? I guess next year.
Anonycat
Duck - "her mere existence is enough to put me in a quack mood, I might as well return the favor by quacking it around"
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
Artist -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Okay, I guess.
@Poison Trail  
Shitty writers and shitty artists behaving like jerks and antagonizing the current and potential customers as well.  
But hey, rather than cleaning the house, they are blaming Marvel. Honestly, BBC pulling Doctor Who from IDW and handling it to Titan Comics should have been their first wakeup call.
Jarkes
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
Thread Starter - Transformers Thread

GOKAAAAI... SILVER!
Could’ve sworn I saw some sales figures indicating that IDW was like #3 or #4 in top-selling comic companies… Which, considering their decreasing sales, is pretty impressive that they’ve remained there.

Let’s face it, they were never going to be as big as Marvel or DC.

Not to mention, Marvel’s “Secret Empire” ended up being its lowest-selling event comic in the company’s entire history… Gee, I wonder why…

@Itsthinking

Yeah, the guy basically said, “How dare people have strong feelings about 9/11.”
Candacefan29
Thread Starter - /forums/pony/topics/season-6-episode-discussion

Go Watch Helluva Boss
For those of you who just want the review and not the AT4W storyline, start at the 2:00 marker and end it at the 24:25 marker.

It’s a pretty funny review [apparently Viga is going to drag Linkara to see the MLP movie “$600 worth of times”]…my favorite joke is Linkara’s mind getting blown over this panel and its implications~  
full
kleptomage
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - 10+ uploads with over 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)

Linkara has some good points. Why was Princess Cadance in a public high school?

Given that the majority of the MLP fandom was not alive in the 80’s, maybe it wasn’t the best idea to make Shining Armor and Cadance’s backstory a parody of 80’s movies.
cheezedoodle
Roll for Initiative - For Patreon supporters
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Thread Starter - OC Tag Description Requests
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Silver Bit -

TagZombie: AC15, Atk +8
@kleptomage  
Cadance has been shown to be extremely gracious. Maybe she demanded non-preferential treatment? Also possible Equestria isn’t populous enough to support private academies on that scale other than Celestia’s School?

For him to form a headcanon (private high schools exist and royal children are always educated in them), even if reasonable, and then questioning why ‘reality’ doesn’t match it is spurious reasoning.

As for the setting, the background was full of treats for adult fans but the themes were timeless and easy enough to grasp for anybody. 80’s fashion was already in the show by now for flashbacks, so it seemed like a natural fit.
Anon-a-Miss
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).

Linkara has some good points. Why was Princess Cadance in a public high school?

Because someone at IDW wanted to do a parody of your typical High School story? The school show in this comic feels out of place in Equestria. I also doubt that there’s a congress in the Equestria we’ve seen in the show.
Jarkes
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice

GOKAAAAI... SILVER!
I think the simple problem with the MLP comics is this: they have too many writers and arists.

On most of IDW’s other books, they’ve got maybe 3, 4 writers per book at the MOST, although most of the Transformers comics have exactly one writer per specific book (examples, James Roberts being pretty much the sole writer on More than Meets the Eye and Lost Light), and maybe 3-4 artists that occasionally rotate with each other per book and have fairly similar art styles. So you have much more consistent quality and they’re mostly pretty solid even if sales aren’t always the best.

MLP? You’ve got like 12 different writers and like 8 different artists, all of whom have wildly different styles and different ideas about things. So the quality varies wildly from issue to issue, not helped by the fact that most stories are stand-alone multi-parters. I know that sounds like an oxymoron, but most of the multi-parters have nothing to do with each other, hence the “stand-alone” part. Most other IDW books, however, have long-running, continuous story-arcs that build on each other, and sometimes cross over to different books in the particular franchises. But they work more closely with each other to make sure everything lines up correctly, and – most importantly– they have editors who actually give a damn. At least nowadays anyway; back in the early days of IDW’s Transformers license, they had Denton Tipton as the main guy in charge, who’s approach to continuity was essentially, “Who gives a shit?” And then you had stories like All Hail Megatron which killed the momentum of the previous story arcs in favor of something ENTIRELY new, with contradictions up the wazoo and Shane McCarthy shilling his pet character Drift, who’s a classic case of a character who was written better by other guys once the creator of the character left. But I digress.

With MLP, however, you’ll frequently have issues and storylines contradict each other, sometimes even within the same issue, and Bobby Curnow just doesn’t seem to care.

To put it simply, MLP has too many cooks.
Itsthinking
Diamond -
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Silver Supporter -
Happy Derpy! -

🅱
@Jarkes  
Honestly? Think it is the exact opposite issue. They really, really need new blood. I thought James Asmus would be a good sign of things to come but considering that apparently the days of original stories are gone for IDW who knows if it even matters.
Jarkes

GOKAAAAI... SILVER!
@Itsthinking

I’m not sure how “needing new blood” is the opposite of “too many cooks”, but sure.

Heck, the Transformers comics getting new blood after Shane McCarthy’s disastrous run and Denton Tipton’s terrible editorial practices (or rather, the lack thereof) proved to be a pretty good move in the long run.
Itsthinking
Diamond -
Silver Supporter -
Happy Derpy! -

🅱
@cheezedoodle  
I guess at least during seasons airing, should have put a caveat. Because during all of S7 it was just stories that were connected in some form to what was airing. I suppose this summit one of all the species is a new one though?
cheezedoodle
Roll for Initiative - For Patreon supporters
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Thread Starter - OC Tag Description Requests
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Silver Bit -

TagZombie: AC15, Atk +8
@Itsthinking  
Most of the main series issues put out during season 7 did tie in to an episode in some way, but I have a feeling they were free to develop their own stories for the tie-in (other than the pony of shadows stuff).

Basically, “here’s what happens in the episode, write a story that is a prequel, sequel, or happens in the background to it.”
Anonycat
Duck - "her mere existence is enough to put me in a quack mood, I might as well return the favor by quacking it around"
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
Artist -

Okay, I guess.
To be honest, Hasbro taking control over IDW’s stories and making them follow the cartoon means less chances of getting stuff like the forest Deers, or the cattle rustles, or Friends Forever 1.
Background Pony #4C4A
@Anonycat

Yeah, but without the S7 that whole restriction will be gone in the next month and will not return until the S8
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide