Fanfic Writing General

Background Pony #DB6A
@Cyborg  
Or we can wait until tomorrow, or you can comment and i’ll get to it tomorrow.  
Anyway, Later.
Mr100dragon100
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
A Really Hyper Artist - 500+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

reformation is the best
ok i come up with these names for the land as a whole for my AU what do you think so far

nocterra

Noct- comes from the Latin nox, meaning “night.” The term nocturnal, meaning “of or related to the night,” also comes from this Latin root.**

terra = earth in latin

nocterraia

same thing as above but with ia meaning

From Latin, -ia translated as ‘land of”. It’s pretty similar to countries that end in -land or -stan. Russia is “Land of the Rus”, Australia is “Land of the South”. when English-speaking explorers named the places they found it was pretty common to use Latin names to sound fancy__

maybe this can be called in English land of the night idk

silvanoctem

silva is forest and noctem is night

this is what I have so far what do you think
Roseluck
Roseluck - For supporting the site

@Mr100dragon100  
Note to self: manage to find a way to slip Nocta Incognita into some fanwork.

Didn’t study that era but I assume explorers didn’t use Latin to “sound fancy.” Latin was a common language for most of Europe back then and that meant the names they gave could be understood by the scholars of every country, whose language ranged anywhere from Portuguese (on the far west) to Russian (on the other end, even if they were more familiar with Greek).

And considering much of exploring new lands was about claiming those lands as belonging to your country, it was probably pretty important to make sure everyone knew which land you were talking about.

All in all Latin is part of western culture and history so names based on Latin don’t sound out of place in our world. Is that the case for your AU? Or would the names come off precisely as trying to “sound fancy” first and actual countries/lands second? Like putting a Latin name in Middle Earth?

Case in point, no country name is based on Latin in the Elder Scrolls’ universe… even though the Imperials of Cyrodiil basically are an expy of the Roman Empire.

Don’t know Latin and not awake enough to ‘cross-multiply’ cases across Wiktionary for the proper name… but first guess for ‘Forest of the Night’ would be Silvanocta.

Well, actual first guess would be Sylvania, because of years of Warhammer Fantasy… and checking Wiktionary again tells me that Transylvania means “region across the forest” and ergo that Sylvania means “land of the forest.”

Sylva and silva are also alternate spellings of the same thing.

So… Noctasilvania or Silvanoctalia ? With Noctalia for just “land of the night?” Maybe bastardized and shortened to something like Noxilvania over the centuries? (Complete with “noxious” jokes at their expense.)

Latin’s thing with cases means it’s probably not the correct spelling, but hopefully that’s enough groundwork for you.
Mr100dragon100
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Artist -

reformation is the best
@Roseluck  
i just think it would sound nice all I want is some help with this because

the land has many types of landscapes like first, grasslands, mountains etc

and diverse languages based on where the creatures come from but the main language is modern English

and many creatures like vampires, wolfponies, mummies, etc

and is on a big island similar to dinotopia but is enough for everyone and it has a sort of portal to mainland Equestria for certain reasons

so idk what to do

most of the creatures (mostly wolfponies) are based on European with some North American people because wolves make new packs so why not the rest are like Egyptian based (mummies) or swamp ponies which are more southern like Louisiana or anywhere in that area of America

but they will have their own town names mostly in English but also in their native language the swamp ponies always spoke English so ya

most creatures call themselves creatures of the night well when you think of it wolves, vampire bats, and alligators would sometimes be active at night (or whatever depending on the day and individual) and also because they are not normal ponies but they don’t want to use monster either so creature is just fine.

(though for vampires, living mummies (I’ll explain someday) wolfponies in their pony forms, ponies who have powers, and normal ponies who are willing to live with them or are descendants of a normal pony who lived in the land still call themselves ponies for simplicity reasons)

so the idea of night still fit even though most can be active during the day but some can be active at night if they want but will go to sleep eventually

I want the names to sound cool but I don’t want to be so simple or uncreative so again idk what to do
Mr100dragon100
Artist -

reformation is the best
@Roseluck  
maybe Noctasilvania sounds good since one of the founders is dracula and in this AU it’s in Equestria so Transylvania in equestria would be trotsylvania (or idk) so Noctasilvania would b neat because is like dracula’s old home but I say he as well as the other leaders would choose that because of similar things on how people on earth name things so the vania part of the name is just a coincidence
Background Pony #DB6A
Ok, so:

I’m thinking of probably having the main cars in my AU being Buicks.

Lineup for Buick in my AU:  
Regal  
Lacrosse  
Verano  
Enclave  
Enclave Classic  
Encore  
Encore GX  
Encore Classic  
Envision  
Envision LWB  
Envision Classic  
GL8  
GL8 Classic  
GL6

Now, Question: What Buick should Twilight drive?

(Enclave Classic is First-Generation Enclave with updates, same with Encore classic, Envision LWB is Envision Plus, icyw.)

@Cosmas-the-Explorer
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide