Unpopular opinion time

gingerninja666
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Kaze ni Nare
Have the CMC even had any episodes about trying to help someone get their mark? People talk like it’s a thing, but… it isn’t. It’s a thing only when it’s part of something else.

On Your Marks, for instance, had Tender Taps. But the EPISODE was about Apple Bloom’s existential stress regarding the stability of the Crusaders as a group, and how her dwelling on her own issues made her miss when a problem was right in front of her eyes.

They helped out that colt in Forever Filly, but the episode was about Rarity’s and Sweetie’s relationship, with Zipporwill’s dog being a thematic mirror to it.

I guess there’s Fault in our Cutie MArks, but that was a VERY unique situation that brought up the question of whether the CMC could even help someone like her.

Then there’s Marks and Recreation, which isn’t really about helping Rumble find his mark, but is like a commentary on the nature of marks.
Vivace
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Artist -

“ShimSham my GlimGlams”
More CMC/FACUMAI (Facilitators of Cutie Mark Acquisition & Interpretation) solo episodes. Each has a unique symbol in front of her cutie mark’s unifying shield, so these solo episodes ought to be the focal forefront. Also, CMC duo episodes (one absent member.)

@gingerninja666  
Ok, fuck what I just said above. You’re paying attention.
Background Pony #F626
@rdibp  
The fact things like that get attention, but the show’s wildly inconsistent application of slapstick violence in every season is 100% ignored by even the biggest sticklers for continuity and consistency continues to baffle me to this day.

Remember when Twilight fell down a couple of stairs in Feeling Pinkie Keen in Applejack’s barn’s basement, and couldn’t even walk afterwards? Remember when Twilight fell down that secret Sombra staircase in the Crystal Empire, and was entirely unharmed? No one cares, neither among for staff or the fandom. Seriously, go look that images of that scene from TCE. Not a single comment on it being different from FPK. No one seems to think this is a issue. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a cartoon where slapstick violence was so poorly implemented.
Philweasel
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.

Right About Everything
@Background Pony #7951  
To be fair, that’s kinda realistic. I work in a hospital, I’ve seen people fall off roofs and sustain minor injuries, while some other guy falls off a chair and puts himself in complete traction. It really does depend on how you land.

Hell, there’s been a fair few people who have fallen out of exploding airplanes and sustained minor injuries.
EquusStorm
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Silver Bit -
Ruby -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
Artist -

Flop it to the princess
@Background Pony #7951  
I don’t think a lot of fans are going to be that pedantic about the implementation of comparative bodily harm in cartoon physics. If they are, they’re probably taking a cartoon a little too far. To each their own though
Badumsquish
Generic Messy Hair Anime Anon - Seen and done more than you can imagine
Kalianne - Derpi Supporter
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

ᗡ: 📶 📡
@gingerninja666  
Yeah, it’s a thing. In On Your Marks outright declare they’re going to help other ponies get their marks and help Tender Taps get one, in The Fault in Our Cutie Marks they try and fail to get Gabby one, and in Marks and Recreation they start an entire summer camp dedicated to getting ponies cutie marks. The big thing is, like you said, those episodes tend to be about other characters and all three of the CMC are there on equal ground, so they as individuals get little to no development and are more or less just satellite characters :D
Jarkes
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
Thread Starter - Transformers Thread

GOKAAAAI... SILVER!
I still think that On Your Marks has one of the most hilariously anticlimactic conflict resolutions of any episode.

“MAH FRIENDS ARE ABANDONING ME!”  
“Um… no we’re not.”  
“Oh, okay.”
Philweasel

Right About Everything
@Badumsquish  
Too be fair, all three have have many stand alone episodes furthering their development. As a trio, they’re more there to drive the plot for the benefit of other characters.
gingerninja666

Kaze ni Nare
@Badumsquish

Like, they do it, but the episode isn’t ABOUT it. The way people describe it, they talk like the episode is just about the CMC helping someone with their marks. When the episodes all have very different themes.
Philweasel

Right About Everything
I still think that On Your Marks has one of the most hilariously anticlimactic conflict resolutions of any episode.
“MAH FRIENDS ARE ABANDONING ME!”
“Um… no we’re not.”
“Oh, okay.”

That was a weird episode. I’ve called Josh Haber out a number of times on his inability to pull of a coherent plot arc and themes not being given enough time to be properly developed, and I think it stands as the grand example of both of those flaws in stark relief.

I wouldn’t call it terrible, but it’s definitely his worst.
Badumsquish

@Philweasel  
That’s totally true. I’m just saying I find that way less interesting than when it’s just one of them getting character development :D

@gingerninja666  
No, but the episode’s not really about them as characters either. Like, you could take Fault In Our Cutie Marks, switch Scootaloo and Apple Bloom’s lines and roles in the episode, and literally nothing would change. They’re sort of just there as just three Cutie Mark Crusaders, right? That’s fine, don’t get me wrong; I’m just saying I’m not really into those episodes :D
Jarkes
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
Thread Starter - Transformers Thread

GOKAAAAI... SILVER!
@Badumsquish

…Um… no? Scootaloo’s whole thing in the episode is how her inability to fly makes her relate to Gabby. Switching her and Apple Bloom’s lines in that episode wouldn’t work at all.
Badumsquish

@Jarkes  
Dude XD
Applejack: Turkey call?  
Big McIntosh: Eeyup.  
Applejack: Trash your voice?  
Applejack: Zecora remedy?  
Applejack: Not quick enough?  
Big McIntosh: Nnope.  
Applejack: Needed a deep voice?  
Applejack: Poison joke?  
Applejack: Flutterguy?  
Applejack: Better now?  
Applejack: And that shy filly was livin' her dream in the shadows because she couldn't bring herself to come into the spotlight?  
Applejack: Well, for corn's sake! Let's go!
gingerninja666

Kaze ni Nare
Scootaloo: You know what, Gabby? I promise we're gonna do everything we can to help you get your mark.  
Gabby: Oh! It's gonna happen! I can feel it! Woo-hoo! Woo-hoo! 
Sweetie Belle: Aaaaand... she's off again.  
Apple Bloom: Why in tarnation would you promise somethin' that just can't be done?  
Scootaloo: (glances at her wings and flaps them once) I know what it's like to want something that's out of reach. And just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it can't. Maybe trying for the impossible isn't so bad. 

You really think you could swap Scoots’ lines with Apple Bloom there?
gingerninja666

Kaze ni Nare
@Badumsquish

But no, that doesn’t work. Because AB HAS her cutie mark. And she got it alongside the other CMC. The whole point of Scootaloo in that episode is that on some level she was vicariously trying to prove Griffons can get cutie marks because if she proved something impossible like that could happen, then maybe she can actually fly one day. She promised Gabby something impossible, because she herself is hoping for something improbable.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide