The great GamerGate discussion. (Stuff and things)

ЅℰℒᎯℙℋℐℰℒ
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant

Pomegranates :P
@Commune  
Games have been political long before Trump and such. True.  
But not to the extent we’re seeing it now.

Still doesn’t excuse shitty storyline and shitty gameplay for the sake of political message.  
They’re trying to put politics in front of everything.
Vortaxonus

@SeraphimDawn  
while i know it might not be too relevant to anything ever, putting any message above gameplay in general tend not to go well (jasper batt jr. and the suda’s reason for his boss sucking comes to mind).
Cyborg_pony
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages

@SeraphimDawn  
This is why I’m glad Japan is so stubborn, the problem is we all know treehouse will neuter any game brought over, I almost feel it’s not worth buying know I’m getting games with huge chunks removed, dialogue change and censorship all over.

Yeah, that’s what people really want in games, terrible outdated memes, dresses and other outfits covered up or removed. Oh no wait, that’s just puritans.

I personally blame Jim Sterling, AngryJoe and even a few on here.
Silent_Witness
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~

Chippin’ In
@SeraphimDawn  
You know a lot of people like to joke about it, but I really do blame Tumblr for what’s happening in the game industry. This shit didn’t happen before that site started to gain popularity.

Well, it did happen, but it’s nowhere near as severe as it is now.

@Cyborg_pony  
We can only hope that since the localization is being handled by Nintendo of Europe as opposed to Nintendo of America, Treehouse won’t be able to get their grubby mitts on it and completely fuck it up.
Turkeynomster

@SeraphimDawn  
Games with story will inevitably have implicit moral messages, which in turn always has a political dimension given enough extrapolation. Metal Gear Solid is entrenched in contemporary politics, but its absurdist bent and grey scale morality keeps it in the realms of hypothetical science fiction with real life government conspiracies woven in the motive and world setting for additional flavour and relevance.

The issue comes when political messages are simplistic, immersion breaking and so one sided in their portrayal that there is no longer any exploration of those themes but rather it becomes a rehearsed propaganda piece only interested in a story to forward a disingenious agenda.

It doesn’t help that the current media and “cultural lobbyist” groups for games are run by terrible people with skewed, hypocritical moral grandstanding disguised as concern.
Cyborg_pony
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages

@Silent_Witness  
I bet that’s why treehouse started that Tumblr blog, so they can use it as “See! gamers want what WE do! So YOU have to make the games to OUR specifications which makes it easy for us!” knowing, they’re just the vocal minority.

I really want this to bite them in the ass and the company suffers so much that the entirety of treehouse is axed, or if anything Maragos is fired. Just so we can enjoy is butthurt tirade.
Commune
Betrayal! - Betrayed their team for a badge. Shame forever!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.

🚙
@Turkeynomster  
The real danger isn’t games with simple messages that break immersion as they don’t work as we know they are propaganda pieces

The real danger are games who subliminally inject messages into you with either gameplay features or story(most of the time this is done unintentionally)  
Case In Point: Call of Jaurez: the cartel which is a very unintentionally racist game
Turkeynomster

@Commune  
Perhaps in the moral sense when it is a message already believed. What most would imagine is that the badly written and controversial message is hampering on the enjoyement/engagement within the experience, similar to Mary Sue characters that feel like they were photoshopped in.

The moral dangers of propaganda messages in fiction only works when it is in tandem with an already falsely perceived reality and the same faulty information is repeated without question. Reason why I don’t much care for the current bureau solely meant for the moral centrification within games; there’s nothing that would indicate them not exploiting their position.
Scrabbleman
Duck - He literally asked for this
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Artist -
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

[screams in German]
Honestly, I have no problem with games having political messages. It adds a sense of realism in the game which makes it much sweeter and interesting. Dragon Age series is filled with politics and emphasizes how important it can affect you, which makes it enjoyable.

The problem isn’t politics at its core. The problem is modern politics being implemented into games instead of using a form of fictional politics. And this is much more seen in Marvel comics (thankfully, not the games).

Video game politics should fit in with said video game instead of trying to look like current day politics.
Commune

🚙
@Whatevs  
Except they present a lot of false info about cartel activities like “CARTELS KIDNAP WOMAN FROM AMERICA TO SELL IN MEXICO” When in fact, that doesn’t even happen and instead, Mexican woman are kidnapped and sold in America  
It is disgusting that they showed it that way as the Mexican Drug War is one of the bloodiest conflicts in the world and yet they give it no respect instead deciding to turn it into Call of Duty but somehow even more racist

@DeathCloud  
Why ?
DeathCloud

Agent of Shadows
@Commune  
Using your logic no conflict should ever be used in games unless its 100% historical (or commonly accepted in West) truth.

@Whatevs  
This.  
And nobody (other than alt right folks) complain how Wolfstein games are anti german.
Commune

🚙
@DeathCloud  
Wolfenstein is meant to be an extraggerated hyperbolic fantasy action game  
While COJ: The Cartel tries to pass itself off as realistic and is based in a actual current war  
This can actually help change someone’s opinions on the Drug War

There is no excuse, the creators of COJ: The Cartel clearly did not give a shit as their research is so fucking flawed they managed to screw up the phrase “sliver or lead” with “gold or lead”

And I’m not trying to say it needs to be 100% accurate but saying “DUR MEXICANS SNEAK ACROSS THE BORDER TO STEAL OUR WOMENZ AND SELL EM BACK IN MEXICO” is very, very fucking inaccurate and insulting to the victims of the drug war  
Imagine a WWII game where they say the Holocaust only killed a few thousand people, that is the level of fuck up we are talking about
Whatevo
Thread Starter - The great GamerGate discussion.
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Arch-Rarifag
@DeathCloud  
The complaint is more that white patriarchs are depicted as villainous often.

I mean, it’s consistent with the logic of everyone involved in making games: portrayals matter
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide