Rainbow Rocks 10th Anniversary - Let's celebrate the 10th anniversary of Rainbow Rocks with an art event! Here

General Tag Discussion

Markiz93
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant

Proud of being Polish
We really should change the name of the tag Spoiler:tyts02e00 to something else, because what if we’ll get a second special, what it could be named as spoiler?
We should change it to “spoiler:tyts02s1” or “spoiler:tyts02es1”, to not mistake it with normal episodes.
saby
Celestial Glory - Helped others get their OC into the 2024 Derpibooru Collab.
Nightmare in the Moon - Had their OC in the 2024 Derpibooru Collab.
Magical Inkwell - Untitled ancient Pegasopolis vignette
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
A Perfectly Normal Pony - Red is Sprout, yellow is Hitch, you are a lout, and also a bitch.
Speaking Fancy - Badge given to members that help with translations

Anti Fun Officer
@coomdoomer
Maybe. The tag seems to have been (arbitrarily) named after the idiom where something great or exciting is called “the cat’s pajamas”. It’s synonymous to “bee’s knees”.
coomdoomer

@saby
Ah, the Anti-Fun Officer! Would the tag cat clothes be a better catch-all term that keeps things simple? If you want cat pajamas just use cat clothes + pajamas in the search.
… or do I misunderstand how tagging works here?
Background Pony #7C7A
@coomdoomer
There is a cat costume tag.
The problem with text-based tags is that they don’t carry any additional info. So an image of 1 character in cat pajamas could be tagged cat clothes + pajamas, but an image with 20 characters, one of them standing in the background in cat costume and some pajamas strewn across the floor could also be tagged the same even though none of those things are the focus of the image.
This is why composite tags like cat's pajamas still have their place.
LightningBolt
Umbrella - For Patreon supporters
Lightning Dee - Derpi Supporter
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
@Background Pony #7C7A
I am so tired of this excuse used on tags to excuse and justify every single possible variation of something btw.
Nobody ever, ever, needs to specifically be able to pinpoint one specific outfit in a sea of 500 in an image, or even other things. We don’t have a tag for Fluttershy in the background or Skirt on Pinkie Pie ONLY.
This kind of mindset is what leads to a bloat of excess useless tags that serve a purpose for 3 images.
For the love of god I’m still tagging female dozens of times a week. We don’t need to worry about granularity when people can’t even tag basic things.
Yes I am aware this reply is benign, but I gotta be the fun police so you guys don’t have too much whimsy in here, sorry.
Background Pony #7C7A
@LightningBolt
Yeah, I totally get you have to weigh this point against other points, otherwise we’d drown in tags. I believe the existence of cat's pajamas is justified though.
The limitations of text-based tags are why I believe a booru of the future should use a more expressive approach to tagging. Most likely some sort of structured data that can express things like “Image depicts one character. This character is Rainbow Dash from MLP G4. This character has clothes on: scarf. The scarf has a property: striped. This character is holding a cup. The cup contains hot cocoa.”. A more futuristic alternative would be some sort of AI system that automatically describes/classifies images and accepts natural language queries.
(And yes, I do regularly tag mare or even pony, unicorn, solo, etc. I also see a lot of images without source that were uploaded by BPs. It’s sad.)
Background Pony #7C7A
Rainbow Dash, cup is so much less tiresome.
It’s less expressive. It’s why people keep adding convoluted tags like the aforementioned Skirt on Pinkie Pie ONLY. They wouldn’t if they didn’t care about the distinction. The official answer is to create a gallery instead, but that requires each concerned user to sift through huge amounts of images to find the applicable ones and to put them in their own gallery. And that effort doesn’t even get reused, since in practice people looking for specific images use regular image searches, not gallery searches. With structured tags this effort could at least get reused.
No thanks, sick of AI in everything.
I’m sick of some AI, like “smart” stuff (because usually it’s just as stupid but less predictable) or LLM-based “assistants” that will very eloquently tell you that they can’t help you. Though I honestly believe AI has its uses (such as offline translations) and automatically tagging images could be one of them. It seems way more useful than image generation to me.
Another possible use case is providing accessible interfaces. Some people don’t even know they can do rd, cup, let alone foo && (bar || baz) && NOT quux. Empowering them to use complex searches is a good thing, even if other users would write their own queries instead.
LightningBolt
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
Rainbow Dash, cup is so much less tiresome.
It’s less expressive. It’s why people keep adding convoluted tags like the aforementioned Skirt on Pinkie Pie ONLY. They wouldn’t if they didn’t care about the distinction. The official answer is to create a gallery instead, but that requires each concerned user to sift through huge amounts of images to find the applicable ones and to put them in their own gallery. And that effort doesn’t even get reused, since in practice people looking for specific images use regular image searches, not gallery searches. With structured tags this effort could at least get reused.
No, people can just not do it and learn better. If you REALLY care about finding images of Pinkie Pie in a skirt, you can do it, etc etc.
Some people don’t even know they can do rd, cup,
Well they can learn then. :V
That’s my answer for all of this. People can learn better.
T6J2E5
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

Verified blank-flank
Bit of a non sequitur, but I use AND, instead of a comma, because the comma can sometimes cause unexpected behaviour when composing complex search terms.
Background Pony #7C7A
you can do it
Can you write a query for EQG or humanized Dash and pony Pinkie where Pinkie says “I didn’t expect that!”? Use case is finding a specific image that user once saw. pp, rd, (eqg || humanized), pony returns 1281 images and is still missing a lot of images that are for example tagged “human” but not “humanized”. (IDK if there’s such an image. I made it up, but I had similar use cases in the past.)
A better tagging system would be able to express constraints like this. It would also be able to infer that if a character is normally a pony, but is drawn as a human, then it means it was humanized.
Well they can learn then. :V
Sounds a lot like “install Gentoo” TBH. But I think we’re creating an off-topic here, so I’ll stop posting.
LightningBolt

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
@Background Pony #7C7A
Or people can learn to deal with not everything being perfect. This tagging system is already 1000x better than every other website ever as you try finding a single thing on Twitter. You can’t. People barely even label things as pony, let alone what’s going on there.
The ‘better tagging system’ is just trying to make things complicated for the sake of the one user one time who wants to see one specific thing but will explode if they see anything else that isn’t exactly that in the meantime.
The sooner people learn that they don’t need to over-complicate things, the better.
coomdoomer

Counterpoint to BP #7C7A, I literally just went through the entirety of the tag pajamas for images missing the onesie tag. This is the system we use and we have autistic people like me willing to make things better for others because we like the system. If you want verbose AI-assisted descriptions, literally go install Gentoo on a server and make your own website.
ANYWAY, about the cat's pajamas tag.
Should it be ambiguated to cat clothes? cat costume and cat lingerie exist, but neither of those would be correct categories to put a hoodie in, I don’t think.
LightningBolt

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
@coomdoomer
Where did I ever say that adding proper tags was a problem? As long as it’s not onsie on RD or blue polkadot onesie it’s fine.
I don’t have an answer to the rest of that. I thought cat’s pajamas was a phrase.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide