Applying the Five Man Band trope to the Mane 7:  
The Leader - Rainbow Dash  
The Lancer - Rarity  
The Big Guy - Applejack  
The Smart Guy - Twilight  
The Heart - Fluttershy  
The Sixth Ranger - Pinkie Pie  
The Tag-a~~long Kid ~~ Spike

Obviously that’s not how they turned out but it could work as a bit of AU fic. It’d be interesting to see how their relationships developed if the picked each member up one or two at a time on an epic, season long, journey to stop Nightmare Moon.
Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
@DaddyMakesMeEUHH  
Officially, it’s a bit of a wash. It depends on if you think Starlight is a main character or a frequently recurring secondary character.  
As for my reasoning behind the roles,  
Rainbow is impulsive and goal oriented. Rarity’s patience and general demeanor makes her a good foil for RD. Applejack is a powerhouse. Twilight is a nerd. Fluttershy cares about everyone. Pinkie is number six cue The Prisoner theme. Spike is a kid. Usually a seventh member would be a tag along kid or a mentor. If we kick Twilight to the mentor role then Starlight could be the smart guy.
Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
@DaddyMakesMeEUHH  
Generally, the smart guy is some kind of mage in a fantasy series. Since they’re both high level magic users, they can both fit the role. That aside, the role generally denotes one as the “thinker” of the group. A cunning, if not book smart, character could also work.
Spinny
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -

Resident Spin Fetishist
@DaddyMakesMeEUHH

Starlight could have been a mane seventh if there was more of an effort to integrate her within the group.

As it stands, only a small handful of episodes did this. I do think there was nothing wrong with her being present for the mane six’s adventures just so long as they didn’t all turn out like Shadow Play.
Latecomer

@Spinny  
She’s a Twilight satellite who sometimes serves as one to the whole group - like Spike. What makes her different is that unlike him, she has her own friendgroup as well. (I suppose Spike has his O&O group?)
DaddyMakesMeEUHH

(ヽ^ゝ^)ちわー!
Starlight could have been a mane seventh if there was more of an effort to integrate her within the group.
As it stands, only a small handful of episodes did this.

Yep, that is true.  
@Latecomer  
I like that Starlight had her own friend group. I also wished we’ve seen Starlight and Spike together more often. I think they had great chemistry.
DaddyMakesMeEUHH

(ヽ^ゝ^)ちわー!
@Brass Beau  
Twilight and Spike relationship was the siblings relationship. But sometimes Spike seemed like a worker more than anything. But that leads to a question, I understand using him to transport letters to Princess Celestia but some episode , if I remembered correctly , he would carry everything for her. Since she’s a unicorn wouldn’t it make more sense for her to levitate everything, since her talent is “Magic”.
Background Pony #8777
I didn’t really like it when Starlight was put with the Mane Six because it felt like the writers always had her take “presence” and intelligence points away from the other five so she could play lancer to Twilight and come up with the solution to the problem. Sometimes it even felt like Twilight played second-fiddle to her.
Spinny
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Wallet After Summer Sale -

Resident Spin Fetishist
@Background Pony #8777

That’s why Starlight is so contentious most of the time, and why during those moments when they actually do have her being a potential mane seventh, they still have to make her stand out among the rest.
Background Pony #8777
I did start warming up to her in S8-9, but it’s the episodes where she does her own thing or is with her own group where I like her better. At least there, I don’t mind how big they made her since it’s her focus episode and she’s the leader of her group, so it makes sense.
AC97
Non-Fungible Trixie -

I don’t like the official G4 breezies that much. They are literally just talking bugs that exist specifically to add a time limit to the plot of their debut. They add absolutely nothing to the world or its lore (they live on a different world), and they themselves are shown to have nothing special as a race/species.

It’s probably more uncommon to care about them, come to think of it. They’re really just so fragile, and inherently disconnected from everything, as a rule of their existence, that people seldom do.

@Brass Beau

They did have a dynamic that was kinda neglected more than with Twilight and her, which itself I wouldn’t have minded having more of. A pity, since it was a rather good one (her and Spike). Out of the main characters, she seemed to me to be closest to those two (assuming you count Spike as a main).
AC97
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Rainbow is impulsive and goal oriented. Rarity’s patience and general demeanor makes her a good foil for RD.

I kind of wonder why the show rarely paired them with each other.
Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
@AC97  
There were a few pairings the writers didn’t get into, much. Pinkie and Fluttershy. Pinkie and Rarity. Fluttershy and Applejack. Spike and Rainbow Dash.  
The trio list is even more neglected. Not sure how much of it was mandated or how much just happened due to writer interest but there’s still plenty of room to explore some of those dynamics.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide