General Tag Discussion

ArmadilloEater

Administrator
French Taunter
This thread is for any tag discussions you might want to have that are not direct requests, like aliases or implications. Those should be posted in their own threads, as explained in the How to.

In the spirit of the old DB WORKSHOP, feel free to discuss anything tag related, like the creation of new tags (Background pony names for example), explanations on how to use certain tags, or any issue you think is worth talking about really. The mass deleting of a tag should always be discussed, doing so without the accord of a staff member is considered tag vandalism, and is a bannable offense.

Remember to hide spoilers for recently aired episodes and keep the debates civil.
Oatsy
SMILE - Obsessed
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Bronze Bit -
Sapphire -
Cool Crow - "Futa!" An awesome tagger
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - Someone's gotta fix all those futa images.
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <Oatmeal> "If her age is on the clock, she's old enough for cock."
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Sometimes Not Dead
@Solitude  
Personally, I’d say it’s more about actually having the bumps rather than actual areola or anything visible (as opposed to barbie doll type breasts or being covered.)
Vinyl Fluff
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant

What the Fluff?
@Vinyl Fluff
I don’t see any issue with that tag, as long as we are clear on what it refers to.
@Vinyl Fluff
Tag is fine.

Cool. Nondescript Nipples is now a tag. I’ll type up a description and slap it in its own thread, unless putting it here is preferred.

Thanks.
Oatsy
SMILE - Obsessed
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Bronze Bit -
Sapphire -
Cool Crow - "Futa!" An awesome tagger
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - Someone's gotta fix all those futa images.
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <Oatmeal> "If her age is on the clock, she's old enough for cock."

Sometimes Not Dead
@Vinyl Fluff  
Tbh, I’d rather your previous idea for obscured nipples and perhaps aliasing nipple outline into that tag since obscured is more intuitive and encompassing

I think a few other mods agree, just uhh, gimme a minute.
Vinyl Fluff
Non-Fungible Trixie -

What the Fluff?
@Rdobet  
If the tag is clear, I’m all for it. But as I mentioned in the previous thread, I’d personally rather Nipple Outline not be aliased since it implies visible clothed nipples, which is (as lots of things are) a fetish. If it gets aliased then the two would be intermingled.
Velvet

@Vinyl Fluff  
This tag is highly unnecessary and situational. These types of nipples are usually stylistic and are intending to be visible.  
And even if you argue that they could be for non furred creatures and just say “non detailed nipples.” we’re getting down to e621 levels of specifics for stylistic choices. This just isn’t needed.
Vinyl Fluff
Non-Fungible Trixie -

What the Fluff?
@Vinyl Fluff
This tag is highly unnecessary and situational. These types of nipples are usually stylistic and are intending to be visible.
And even if you argue that they could be for non furred creatures and just say “non detailed nipples.” we’re getting down to e621 levels of specifics for stylistic choices. This just isn’t needed.

My main reason for wanting the tag was to enable a way to distinguish normal nipples versus this style which is used quite often for reptiles and non-mammal characters. I haven’t polled every artist, but when used in such a manner it seems to be less an abstract concept of the nipple, and more about keeping the “reptilianness” of the character, despite having breasts. Or potentially to keep the lines smooth.

In the case of mammals, such as the original image I used as an example, it’s a bang-on benefit because it also applies to them.

We’ve got an inverted nipples tag to distinguish them from normal nipples, this is in a similar vein.
Velvet

@Vinyl Fluff  
In that case, there would be no reason to tag it if every artist used that style for their reptiles. They would just search “reptile” or whatever we use for scalie stuff.

inverted nipples aren’t in a similar wavelength. inverted nipples are an actual thing that happens in real life and isn’t just a nipple but simplified. Do you want various other tags like “Inverted Nondescript nipples?”

@LightningBolt  
We’re not going to start tagging eye colors and various other specifics.

I’m strongly against this point because I don’t want people to start thinking they can start tagging slight stylistic usages in various pictures like “simple wings, simple ears, simple eyes etc” We’re going to get to a point where it becomes ridiculous
Vinyl Fluff
Non-Fungible Trixie -

What the Fluff?
@Vinyl Fluff
In that case, there would be no reason to tag it if every artist used that style for their reptiles. They would just search “reptile” or whatever we use for scalie stuff.
inverted nipples aren’t in a similar wavelength. inverted nipples are an actual thing that happens in real life and isn’t just a nipple but simplified. Do you want various other tags like “Inverted Nondescript nipples?”
@LightningBolt
I’m strongly against this point because I don’t want people to start thinking they can start tagging slight stylistic usages in various pictures like “simple wings, simple ears, simple eyes etc” We’re going to get to a point where it becomes ridiculous

Maybe I should give examples of what I’m tagging with this. I agree tag bloat is a bad thing, and we don’t need one for every specific style, but here’s the application here.

>>1170174

This isn’t the best example, but it’s one of the clearest ones I’ve tagged so far as I’m going through the Ember tag. There are defined nipples there. They’re not meant to be abstract or overly-simplistic, they’re just not done 100% like a mammal nipple.

>>1135738

This is another example, there’s clearly a “bump” there meant to be a nipple structure, but it’s deemphasized so it doesn’t appear out of place on a reptile. If I were to tag this with Nipples it would be gone probably within hours. However, there is a form of nipple there, so it should have some sort of nipple tag on it.

It’s not limited just to reptiles. That’s just my main concern. It’s also used quite often on griffon characters or others with thick fur.

Also, I think e621 goes overboard on tags as well, but we do have tags for Incorrect Eyecolor, and specific color underwear, socks and other garments. The latter of which I’ve always found odd.
Vinyl Fluff
Non-Fungible Trixie -

What the Fluff?
If there’s a better term that would accurately describe it without it being confused for Nipple Outline, I wouldn’t be against it. My original name wasn’t perfect. Solitude and I had a short discussion where we tried to figure one out that would be appropriate but non-confusing. He brought up Nondescript Nipples, and I really liked that because it was descriptive (heh, no pun intended) of the physical attributes or lackthereof of the subject, without risking getting it confused for another.
Solitude
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Element of Generosity -

@LightningBolt

Yeah, about that.

We’ve also got tags for underwear colors, hair colors and even plain regular colors.  

I agree with this but I think we’ve already past that point and kept going.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide